Thursday, April 3, 2008

I Remember


I remember...
Greer. It's a place that I've gone to many times since I first started remembering. One thing I cannot remember is a time when I didn't know Greer. The drive is only 4 hours from my house, but it always seems like we're going to a different world during that time. The summertime grass, which is manifesting itself there as I type, has always been so lush and so natural. Not from a golf course or a private lawn whose owner has too much spare time with which they can groom it; this grass is wild. Tall plumes of green and light yellow, hovering above the ground is the shelter for field mice, horny toads, frogs and snakes.  On a hike my family and I went on a couple years ago (all my trips there seem to run together so i'm not sure the exact date and time; a nice effect Greer has on me), I remember seeing a horny toad subtly jumping, just trying to be. I pointed it out and my father reached down and snatched it up just as it was about to leap away. With a skill that he retained from his youth, something that he remembered, he showed us what the toad looked like up close. I remember feeling very close to my dad at that moment; like I was a close friend of his hiking on this trail, as part of his memory.

2 comments:

cat said...

I remember driving four hours every weekend as well with my family. But, we went to Vegas. It sounds like Greer is a much different place haha. I remember hiking in other places though, also with my dad. I remember feeling like I was in an entirely different place as well, where nothing else can distract you because everything so quiet, but interesting at the same time. I remember realizing how everything was so different and untouched. I think people should take more time to go to places like these.

Joey said...

Whenever I hear you talking about Greer, I remember a girl my sister used to be "friends" with. Her name was Greer. The thing I remember most about her is a note she wrote my sister once. She signed her name "Ger". I still think it is ridiculous.